July 20, 2017 | Kharen E. Tejada
Ibaan Sangguniang Bayan passed an ordinance granting Super Magalang Slaughterhouse Corporation a franchise to operate and maintain a private slaughterhouse in Brgy. Sabang and was approved in May 31.
Labeled as Municipal Ordinance No. 2017-06, it was introduced by Hon. Mateo D. Guerra as Chairperson for the Committee on Public Market, Slaughterhouse and Price Control and was unanimously approved by all members of the Sangguniang Bayan.
The said ordinance is based on Section 17 of R.A. 7160 or the Local Government Code which supports and provides for the establishment and operation of a slaughterhouses as one of the basic services and facilities to be undertaken by cities/municipalities.
Section 447 (a) (3) (vii) and (5) (ii) (iv) and similar paragraphs of Section empowers the SB to enact ordinances that shall regulate the sale of meat, fish, vegetables, fruits, fresh dairy products, and other foodstuff for human consumption; establish or regulate the construction and operation of public markets, slaughterhouses or animal corrals; or grant a franchise to any person to establish and operate the same as may be allowed by existing laws; and to levy, assess, collect taxes, fees, and charges as may be necessary for these purposes.
A slaughterhouse categorized by National Meat Inspection Services as Class AA can sell meat outside the city/municipality where they are situated.
Below is the full text of said Ordinance:
Municipal Ordinance No. 2017-06
An Ordinance Granting Super Magalang Slaughterhouse Corporation a Franchise to Operate and Maintain a Private Slaughterhouse at Barangay Sabang, Ibaan, Batangas
SECTION 1. Legislative Franchise
A franchise is hereby granted to Super Magalang Slaughterhouse Corporation to construct, operate and maintain a private Class “AA” slaughterhouse at Barangay Sabang, Ibaan, Batangas, under the following terms and conditions:
- That this franchise shall be for a period of twenty (20) years, commencing from the effectivity of this ordinance, with the option on the part of the grantee to renew the same for a similar period and subject for the approval of the Sangguniang Bayan;
- That the Municipality of Ibaan, Batangas shall collect from the Grantee the franchise tax or its equivalent the business tax and /or such ether taxes levied upon under the Local Revenue Code and Municipal Ordinance;
- That the Franchisee shall also pay all the regulatory fees to the Municipal Treasurer or his/her authorized representative;
- That the Franchise is non-transferable;
- That proper maintenance and sanitation shall strictly be observed by the Grantee in accordance with the Republic Act 9003 or the Ecological Solid Waste Management Act of 2000;
- That the Grantee shall strictly observe the ordinance of the Municipality of Ibaan regulating slaughterhouses.
- That the Grantee shall comply with the following before the operation of his/her Private Slaughterhouse, to wit:
a. Secure the necessary Mayor’s permit;
b. Provide water supply sufficient for the cleaning of its premises and the operation of the establishment;
c. Establishment of a septic tank/s for sewerage disposal and sanitary toilet/s and parking space/s;
d. Provisions of the National Building Code;
e. The Provisions of Setback requirements of five (5) meters from the edge of the road right-f-way.
f. Secure Certificate of Non-Coverage from the DENR and Locational Clearance/Zoning Permit from the Office of the Municipal Planning and Development Coordinator.
g. Strict compliance of the provisions of Administrative Order No. 14, Housing and Regulatory Board, dated 16, December 2000.
h. The slaughterhouse is required to be accredited by the National Meat Inspection Service before the issuance of Business/Mayor’s permit.
8. That during operation, the Grantee as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility give due course and address the request of the residents an the Pamahalaang Barangay of Sabang about job opportunities, traffic, road and safety of residents in the said barangay.
9. That the Grantee shall be jointly and severally liable in maintaining the cleanliness in transporting their livestock to and from the abattoir along the barangay road and undo the same.
10. That the Grantee shall apply for the reclassification of the agricultural land without need of notice once HLURB Resolution No. 925 Series of 2015 is not applicable, amended or repealed.
SECTION 2. Revocation
In case of violation by the Grantee of the terms and conditions and/or requirements provided herein and the pertinent laws, ordinances, rules and regulations, as well as the laws, ordinances that may hereinafter be promulgated, the Municipality of Ibaan, Batangas, thru the Sangguniang Bayan, have the right to withdraw or suspend the franchise.
SECTION 3. Renewal
Submission of application for the renewal of Franchise shall be done two (2) months, prior to the expiration of this Franchise.
SECTION 4. Repealing Clause
All laws, ordinances, resolution, and existing land use plan of the Municipality of Ibaan or parts thereof which are inconsistent with the provisions of this Ordinance is hereby repealed or modified accordingly.
SECTION 5. Separability Clause
If any part or provision of this ordinance is declared invalid by proper authority, parts not mentioned shall be in full force or effect.
SECTION 6. Effectivity
This Ordinance shall take effect fifteen (15) days from the date of its publication in a newspaper of general circulation within Batangas Province.
The said Ordinance was approved by the Municipal Mayor of Ibaan, Hon. Juan V. Toreja on the 7th day of June 2017.